- Sound record does not work in my box. Have to figure out the fine balance between pulseaudio and ALSA.
- Webcam (Creative Vista LIVE) works with Cheese without hiccups but fails to work in Skype.
- VGA problem : I have integrated Radeon X200 with an 8X PCI slot in my comapny PC. So no point adding a PCI card. It would under perform. The problem is that Compiz(Desktop effects in Intrepid) works only with propriety drivers fglrx. But Quake III Arena becomes a slideshow with fglrx running. It has something to do with indirect direct rendering. I is also responsible for the flickers in the video players like mplayer. I have a separate post where I discuss the issues with not having DRI (the one with mplayer). Coming back to the point. To run quake I have to disable fglrx and reenable it for desktop effects. That means I have to restart every time I play Quake. This is idiotic. I have uninstalled fglrx and the xorg-radeon drivers work just fine for me. Quake shows less FPS. But I will survive.The situation was much better with Hardy. Compiz and Quake ran smoothly at the same time. The problem also disappers in Jaunty. But I am unwilling to upgrade to Jaunty at this very moment because of hardware compatibilty issues. Making sound work in Jaunty is a real pain. And I have endured that for 2 weeks to know how it feels like.
- I could not connect my phone to the computer and use it as a USB device. Initially it used to work but no more in Intrepid. I get the error " device descriptor read/64, error -62 ". I really do not know how to deal with it. Some forums suggest to uninstall ehci_hcd and use only ohci_hcd. It means instead of using high speed USB 2.0 use the low speed one. I have tried that too. Sadly, it doesn't work too.
- Samba trouble : In Intrepid giving just the IP address do not list all the shared windows folders itself. I have to explicitly give the name of the shared folder and then smb kindly shows it contents. I have seen it work in Hardy and CentOS 5 but not in the Mandriva 2008. So it must either some bug in newer samba implementations or the configuration file smb.conf is set to some defaults which is not correct.
- I could not add my Google calender to Evolution even though there is an option to do so in Evolution (one of the option in make new calender). On making a new google calender in Evolution, it asks for username password. On providing the password, Evolution just freezes and locks up. It becomes normal after a long time, but it doesn't load any google calender. There is another way of adding usind the ICAL addres from google calender. But the resulting calender would be read-only. I do not mind that. But even that is not working. Evolution is attempting to prefix webcal:// to an http:// address of the .ics file of google calender.
Sunday, July 26, 2009
Outstanding problems in Intrepid
There are some outstanding problems that exists in my Intrepid box which I am trying to solve for quite some time. But every time after spending considerable time on research and ending up with little information I give up. I list them here so that I get to them the moment I have some spare time.
To make Ok Google detection work on Galaxy S7 (Galaxy series phones) we need to perform a couple of steps. 1. As long as Samsung S vo...
People claim that the fastest way to send multiple email drafts is to use Gmail IMAP with email client like Outlook or Evolution or Thunderb...
___________________________________________________________________ SWEET HEART FROM AAR JAANI NAA(T-SERIES) -- SWEETHEART -- ...
Audio tracks can be mixed easily in full fledged video editors like kdenlive or Adobe Premiere but for mixing or joining audio they would n...